Tribute To A Good Friend

Saturday, 28 Promise 2013

Over a year ago, an acquaintance of mine made mention of the fact that her niece was looking for a place to stay. She was living with her parents and trying to help raise one of her children while struggling with a serious case of Crohn’s Disease and some serious psychological issues. But her heart was in the right place, she was trying as hard as she could to be a good person, and she was hoping to help everyone’s situation out by relieving the pressure and tension involved in living with your parents and your daughter (and having your sister and her children living right next door to boot) where there are, almost automatically by default, a lot of social, emotional, and financial pressures to deal with.

So, being in need of some financial help myself, and being the old softy that I am, I let her rent a room in my house. She pretty much had her own bathroom, and use of the common areas in the house. She would go back and forth between my place and her parents’, and visit them for days at a time. Her daughter was glad to come over and stay with her, and it seemed to make everyone happy. Life was good.

Her daughter has been staying with her – wherever she has been staying – pretty much since school ended this year. It looked to Your Humble Narrator as though they were both having a lot of fun together and enjoying the time spent with each other. And they were at my home, in their room and all around the place, since they got back from their adventure this weekend.

Yesterday had a number of events come together in my personal life. I finally got another sleep study done (results will be delivered sometime next week, and I should finally be able to get some new CPAP equipment after twelve years) on Tuesday night, and Wednesday was Take Your Child To Work Work From Home Day at the office. So, I got up Wednesday morning hooked to a bunch of wires, got unhooked from a bunch of wires at around six in the morning, showered off most of the goop they use to keep the wires hooked up during the sleep study, then headed for home and a nice day at the office. I made it home just before seven, and all was quiet – her door was closed and everyone was asleep, as far as I knew. So I set up at the kitchen table and started work a bit early – I was hoping to use the extra half hour at the end of the day to get the place ready for a visit from the Sig-O. Life was looking very good.

About 9:30 or so, I was sitting at the kitchen table, looking out at the beautiful view into the woods behind my house, when her daughter came running out of her room, informing me that her mother wasn’t breathing any more. I ran into the bedroom and tried as best as I could to administer CPR to her. But when the paramedics came they said she had been gone for a while already, and there was nothing I or anyone else could do to save her.

Michelle Lynn Bothwell died early on Wednesday, July 24, 2013. The world will be a little less cheerful and bright without her. Please join me in expressing your sorrow and sympathy to her friends and family.